Week 3 Assignment, Part 1

Is it just me, or are the assignments getting harder and harder to complete? Once again, I really had to think about my answers. Even after giving some thought to the questions at hand, I wasn't sure how my responses would turn out in the end. I know that this class is Social Media for Business, but maybe what I expected from the title of this class is different than what the instructor has in mind. I am enjoying being challenged regarding my views on social media and its use in our current 21st century business atmosphere. Let's see if I can adequately cover this week's assignment.

Have you ever experienced difficulty communicating with a business?
I will answer that with an unqualified "yes". As I type this post, my mind circles back to a semi-recent experience with my local cable/internet provider. As with most dealings involving your local internet provider it was unquestioningly negative. A quick synopsis, my one year introductory price expired and I was on my provider's website looking for other options. Because I had signed in to my account, the website was filtered to exclude any mention of a lower priced internet plan. I had to sign out and look for pricing as if I was a new customer. This business was targeting their approach to me to prevent me from reducing my service. While I don't consider this a deceptive practice, I do consider the way this company used the technology to do their best to keep me paying a higher price to be decidedly slimy.

Does social media make it easier to get noticed or get your problem solved?
I actually don't think it is easier to be heard as an individual. With a few rare exceptions, I don't see an individual voice being heard any more clearly nowadays with our current social media tools than it was 10 years ago, 20 years ago or even further back. My reasoning is that with virtually equal access to the tools of social media, every person has a voice. When dealing with a large company that has hundreds, thousands or more followers, one voice gets lost in the sea of voices. In my example above, I could have jumped onto my social media platform of choice and lambasted my provider. If my lone experience got noticed by my company, I don't think my problem would be different. Now, if hundreds or thousands of customers somehow banded together to fight the company on this practice through social media, maybe things would change.

Have you ever had a positive experience communicating with a business through social media?
My positive experiences with social media and communications with a company I'm interested in focus on small firms or even individuals as brands. Think motorcycle racers that are their own brand for the purposes of selling themselves to obtain race sponsorships. I have had some very positive interactions with these brands due to the small size of the company (one person in most cases) and have found that social media was a great bridge between me and the company. In this case social media would be my only contact with the company/brand as they are too small for any sort of traditional advertising that would get my notice. My positive experiences have been rewarding for me personally and a few of them have had traction with other customers that ended up benefitting the company.

If it was your own business on social media, how would you respond to positive or negative comments?
Keeping in mind my previous comments, I would have different responses for the type of comments I received. All too often we see shoot-from-the-hip, nasty, vehement, criticism of a company for some perceived slight that usually turns out to be a clear case of the customer NOT always being right. Those types of posts have some traction and nothing a business does really addresses the issue. Time is the only cure for that illness and eventually the nasty comments almost always fade away. I think the best bet for a business trying to deal with this type of contact would be to leave it be. Even though we may feel the burning desire to fight back and defend ourselves, our efforts usually have the opposite intended effect causing even more damage than the original post. As well, quick, short positive comments, while nice, may be so plentiful that trying to send a thank you to every customer that leaves a positive comment may have us working full time just to ensure no one is left out of the accolades.

If I had a business, and I hope to have a small business someday, I would try to tailor my use of social media so that I can have intimate customer interaction, but not get overwhelmed by the use of the tools. I would also limit my use of social media tools to just those that not only allow me to interact the way I want, but also give me good analytics and the ability to control what goes out to the greater world. I would employ resources that emphasize the "social" aspect of social media to eliminate barriers between me and useful, engaging interaction with my customer while still allowing me to focus on my core business without having to fight back against the dragon of bad online reviews.

So after the electronic dust has settled, I have managed to answer the assignment questions after all. I hope my contribution to this assignment provokes some interaction from my fellow classmates and I welcome your comments. Thanks!



Comments

  1. Hi Matthew,
    I think your post was great. It doesn’t seem at all like it was hard for you to answer those questions...keep it up! Your perspective towards social media is right on the dot. Too often people like to hide behind their computers and phone screens to address issues that they have with companies, when in fact, it is more effective to have your voice heard in person or on the phone. Literally. I hope you are able to open a small business one day, you’d do great with social media!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlyn thanks for stoping by my blog. In my line of work, a mentor once told me that if you can get up and go to someone's desk you'll get more done. If you can't do that, call them. At the last resort send on email. It seems most of the world has that backwards. Social media tools give us the opportunity to make the distance interaction more like visiting someone's desk.

      Delete
  2. Hi I agree with you about if the company is small it’s easier to be heard. You get more personal attention and your comment stands out as opposed to a large company getting lost. If feel like the smaller companies have more to lose. So they have to try harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully agree that smaller companies have to try harder and have much more to lose. Doubly so in this world with equal access to the tools of Social Media. It is a bit intimidating to think of possibly becoming a small business owner in this day and age. I believe focus on having a good product and treating your customers like you would want to be treated will go a long way.

      Delete
  3. It is always interesting to me that the same types of companies always seem to have the same types of issues across the board (i.e. your internet provider customer service). I do think that the practice you described is deceptive because it is purposely withholding information in order to get more money out of the customer. I also agree with social media being a useful tool to contact companies being dependent on the company size. But I must say, a clothing store I frequent that is predominantly online has over 1 million followers and always is extremely responsive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, thanks for commenting. I have heard many examples of regular people posting comments and having great success being heard through Social Media. I haven't tried to with large companies, maybe my attitude has been too pessimistic. I guess I need to give it a try. After all, I may end up being pleasantly surprised!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I really enjoyed reading you post and all of the thought that you put into this assignment. I agree that a personal approach is always better when it comes to businesses interacting with their customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexa, thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I enjoyed this asignment. As someone looking to get into the motorcycle industry after I retire from the military, I welcomed the chance to apply some critical thought to how other companies are utilizing the social media space within the industry.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts